Current:Home > StocksBlake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Donate $1 Million to Hurricane Helene and Milton Relief Efforts -WealthRoots Academy
Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Donate $1 Million to Hurricane Helene and Milton Relief Efforts
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:36:37
Blake Lively and Ryan Reynold are showing their support during a difficult time.
After Hurricane Milton slammed through Florida nearly two weeks after Hurricane Helene's destruction, the Gossip Girl alum and Deadpool star made a $1 million donation to Feeding America—a network of food banks, food pantries and local meal programs.
"Thank you to the amazing people on the ground providing essential needs for families who've lost so much in this brutal disaster," Blake and Ryan—parents to daughters James, 9, Inez, 7, and Betty, 4, and son Olin—told E! News in an Oct. 10 statement. "Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the double tragedy of these hurricanes. If you're able to get involved, check out the Feeding America website for more info."
And CEO of the charity Claire Babineaux-Fontenot expressed gratitude for their contribution.
"Their longtime support of Feeding America in times of crisis has helped our network on the ground before, during and after disasters," she shared in a statement on X, formerly known as Twitter, Oct. 10. "These funds will help food banks provide basic needs like water, ready to eat food and supplies to communities facing heartbreaking loss and a long recovery."
Blake and Ryan—who have previously donated to causes to help children in Israel and Gaza last October, displaced families in Ukraine in 2022 and families during the height of the Covid pandemic in 2020—weren't the only celebs to open their wallets amid hurricane relief efforts, either. In fact, Taylor Swift made a $5 million donation to Feeding America ahead of Hurricane Milton's landfall.
"This contribution will help communities rebuild and recover," Claire wrote in an Oct. 9 statement on Instagram, "providing essential food, clean water, and supplies to people affected by these devastating storms."
"Together, we can make a real impact in supporting families as they navigate the challenges ahead," the statement continued. "Thank you, Taylor, for standing with us in the movement to end hunger and for helping communities in need."
Florida was devastated in the wake of Hurricane Milton, which is now making its way to the Atlantic Ocean. The storm brought an unusual number of tornadoes to the state, cut power to over 3 million residents and caused at least 11 deaths, per a count by NBC News. From a crane crashing into an apartment building to the roof of the Tropicana Field being shredded, the community is expected to feel the extent of the damage for a long time.
However, many officials, including Governor Ron DeSantis noted that the storm surge, which causes major flooding, wasn't as extensive as previously expected.
"The storm was significant, but thankfully, this was not the worst-case scenario," he told reporters during an Oct. 10 briefing. "The storm did weaken before landfall and the storm surge, as initially reported, has not been as significant overall as what was observed for Hurricane Helene."
Meanwhile, Tampa Mayor Jane Castor applauded the city's residents for following evacuation orders.
"I really think it's due to Hurricane Helene," she said during a press conference. "When people get to see firsthand the power of Mother Nature, it's very impactful, literally and figuratively. And so I think that people heeded that warning and got out and were able to stay safe."
(E! News and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (47)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Israeli strikes in Rafah kill 18, mostly children, Palestinian officials say
- Why Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger Are Facing Backlash Over Demolishing a Los Angeles Home
- Public school advocates again face how to stop school choice in Nebraska
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Here's how to track the status of your 2024 tax refund
- Chinese generosity in lead-up to cleared doping tests reflects its growing influence on WADA
- How Zendaya Really Feels About Turning 30 Soon
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Foundation to convene 3rd annual summit on anti-Asian hate, building AAPI coalitions
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Sharks do react to blood in the water. But as a CBS News producer found out, it's not how he assumed.
- Luke Bryan slips on fan's cellphone during concert, jokes he needed to go 'viral'
- 'Extreme caution': Cass Review raises red flags on gender-affirming care for trans kids
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- New federal rule bars transgender school bathroom bans, but it likely isn’t the final word
- Trump’s $175 million bond in New York civil fraud judgment case is settled with cash promise
- One dead, 7 missing after 2 Japanese navy choppers crash in Pacific
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis' 10-Year-Old Son Otis Is All Grown Up in Rare Photo
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis' 10-Year-Old Son Otis Is All Grown Up in Rare Photo
The Daily Money: Want to live near good schools?
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
The remains of a WWII pilot from Michigan are identified 8 decades after a fatal bombing mission
Mississippi lawmakers move toward restoring voting rights to 32 felons as broader suffrage bill dies
Supreme Court denies request by Arizona candidates seeking to ban electronic vote tabulators